Robert (Bob) Moses Scholarship supports underrepresented grad students in STEM fields
February 21, 2023
This annually awarded national scholarship is designed to support the educational goals of a graduate student from an underrepresented group who is pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree in mathematics education or a STEM discipline. The individual should also have a commitment to civic engagement. The inaugural scholarship is named in honor of the late Bob Moses, a pioneering
civil rights leader and educator who founded The Algebra Project, a national U.S. mathematics literacy program aimed at helping low-income students and students of color achieve the mathematical skills in high school that are a prerequisite for success in college and beyond.
Scholarship Award: $15,000
Who Is Eligible to Apply?
Any student who:
- is enrolled as a master’s or doctoral student in good standing at a public or private U.S. university during the 2022–2023 academic school year
- demonstrates leadership abilities and commitment to community service
- demonstrates financial need
- is a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident with a valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551
How To Apply
To apply for the scholarship, and provide:
- a one-page statement outlining financial need
- the official transcript for your most recently completed academic term; this should include your Fall 2022 grades and cumulative GPA
- two recommendation letters (one should be from a school advisor or the chair of the dissertation committee)
- two original essays, answering the following essay questions (maximum of 500 words per question):
– Describe how your approach to learning is aligned with the work of Bob Moses.
– Tell us a bit about yourself, your background, why you should be awarded the Robert (Bob) Moses Scholarship and how this scholarship will help you support underserved communities.
Submit applications via: https://webportalapp.com/sp/login/ets_robertmoses_scholarship
Application Portal Open: February 1, 2023
Application Deadline: April 3, 2023
Winner Notified: May 15, 2023
For more info, contact: ETSScholarships@ets.org