The College of Arts & Sciences Distinguished Alumni Award is presented to alumni of The College of Arts & Sciences at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Nominees must have received a degree (undergraduate or graduate) from The College of Arts & Sciences at UNCG. The award honors alumni who have achieved distinction on the national, state, or local levels. It honors outstanding contributions to the recipient’s profession, community, institution (whether UNCG or other institutions), or society at large. It recognizes alumni who exemplify creative and continuous personal growth and a willingness to embrace our changing world. Current members of the Advancement Council, The Distinguished Alumni Award Committee and current employees of UNCG may not be considered for the award.
Award Nomination Process
- Complete the online nomination form, found below. You may submit the nomination form online, or mail the required information to: The College of Arts & Sciences, UNCG, 1010 Administration Drive, Suite 201, Greensboro, NC 27402-6170.
- In your statement of why your nominee would be a deserving recipient, please detail the nominee’s qualifications for this award, based specifically on the criteria listed above.
- Optional: On the nomination form, you may also list the names of no more than 3 individuals who will be submitting letters of support for the nomination. Each letter should be no more than 2 pages in length and should address the criteria listed above. Letters may be submitted to the address above or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Optional: You may also submit newspaper articles, clippings, photographs, and additional materials as part of the nomination packet via e-mail to email@example.com or to the mailing address above. Please do not send originals as these materials will not be returned.
- Nominations may be made by anyone except the nominee and must be submitted on the form provided by The College of Arts & Sciences.
The deadline for nominations is June 1, 2019. All forms and materials (letters of support, news clippings, etc.) must be submitted by this date. Selection of the recipient is made by the College of Arts & Sciences Advancement Council and approved by the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences. One award will be presented annually; however, the Advancement Council reserves the right not to make an award if there are no nominations or if nominees do not meet the criteria. The award recipient and nominator will be notified during August and will be recognized during Homecoming. The recipient is expected to attend.
The record of a nominee who is not selected in any given year shall be maintained in a carry-over file and considered for three additional years, after which a person must be re-nominated to be considered.